Skip to main content

May they keep-on coming! #creativedeed365

It is now the end of May and things are gearing up for the summer months. In this post I'll review the last month's #creativedeed365 offerings and where I see it going in the next month or so.

Plan in review for #creativedeed365.
When I first began this 151 days ago back in January 2015, I planned on:

1. Sticking to a small card format has worked out well. As I continue to be busy and am ramping-up to get even more tied-up with school and work for at least the nest 2 months, a small size format will limit the amount of time it takes to create one deed "on-the-go". Although to be honest I am secretly looking forwards to having some free time in the fall so I can spend hours on just 1 deed for the sheer pleasure of it!


2. Up-cycling cards (first & whenever possible). I have up-cycled for most if not all of the first 5 months (and 151 deeds) and in preparation for the 6 Degrees of Creativity 2015 workshops I am now switching for the next 2 months to use the cards I made for the workshop (you'll have to tune back in June/July to see more or sign-up for the workshops!).




January - First 31 Days of 2015
February - 28 Days of #creativedeed365
March - March Days of #creativedeed365
April - It's Raining Deeds!


3. Creating a 'batch' for the month of blanks to use throughout that month is going well and has been the main reason for the 151 strong success. May was the first month I made a mini ATC book. Turns out its quite the endeavor at the onset but it helps keep my cards in order throughout the month...and there's something to be said about the feeling of "peeling-off" a card form the stack each day. Loving it!


4. Documenting has been going well. Although it is challenging to take photos in the evening that are true to the piece. I am getting better at creating and documenting each day. I still don't post to Facebook everyday. To get daily images check-out my Instagram.


Instagram

5. Keeping it simple. Some days things workout and some I just NEED to create a complicated card. So I may be dropping this as a stead-fast rule. Not all things work out as planned.

Lastly, my biggest challenge by far is distribution of the cards. I hardly go anywhere so I keep building stockpiles of cards. I've been mailing them in small quantities to people in my address book and asking them to distribute for me. I'm also scheming on other means of "gifting" them to those who may need them. More on that in the coming months.

Enjoy the May offerings.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On

Stress Relief Recipe Book

Found some time this weekend to de-stress and what better way than delving into one of those “for later” piles. This particular pile consisted of a menagerie of brown paper bags (and the envelopes they were mailed-in). They were accompanied by notes, quotes, dyed papers, hand made paper, ribbons, and on and on, etc.   These bits of mail have been coming-in at wonderfully random intervals for maybe 2 months. Now it is time to bind the collection into the Stress Relief Recipe Book it was meant for. To the bag full of bits of mail I also added: ruler, pencil, x-acto blade (and scissors), ice-pic, elmers (and other glues), thick string, wax candle (used it to wax the string), thick-blunt needle, and cardboard. *for anyone trying this out for the first time - go ahead and make your life simpler by having the inserts all be the same measurements (or close to it). First there was extensive Pinterest and Google searches for DIY paper bag books, but those mostly consisted